Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Elderly Dog With Dementia
manning18fan posted:
Hello! I'm new to the community. Well I have a dog who is 16. I've had him since he was a puppy. Anyway it was never diagnosed but my dog has many symptoms of dementia. He is also almost fully deaf and losing his sight, and has some arthritis. I'm giving him joint medicine and he has his bad and good days. I was wondering if there was anything I can do home-wise to help him with his dementia. He does not really get anxious, so medically I don't think there is anything to worry about. I have to keep him leashed outside because he is starting to wander. I'm keeping the stairs blocked off. Is there any tips for me?

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections