Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Emergency Centers?
bentliy posted:
What has everyone's experience been with emergency centers? We have one in my area, but they are terrible.

1. They charge an exorbitant amount of money, simply because it's an after-hours clinic and because it's an emergency. They're taking advantage of peoples' desperation and need to have their animal treated.
2. When you explain you may not afford it, they offer "CareCredit". If you have poor credit or do not qualify, they say "So sad, too bad. We expect payment at time of service and if you can't pay, we can't treat." They have NO other payment options available, and if you live in a city where majority population has low income or poor credit, your animal could die simply because they want their $ and won't arrange payments.
3. I've never had an animal saved by our area center. Ever. They refused to treat my hamster because the doctor was not a small animal doctor. My rabbit broke his own back by accident in the middle of the night and became paralyzed, and they didn't provide any supportive care, refused to xray because I couldn't afford it, and told me to wait for my vet to open. He died 30 minutes before it opened. Another rabbit of mine had diarrhea (which can be fatal) and, after they gave him a bolus/lump of fluid in his scruff and some antibiotics, he died. I found out after the fact that for a rabbit his size and in his condition, they over-hydrated him, which contributed to his death instead of preventing it.
4. Their demeanor... they seem to think that just because they're open after hours, they are a gift from above and you should be grateful that they are even taking your phone call.

I don't know if it's just me, but they really do come off as taking advantage of a horrible situation. They care more about their bottom dollar than helping the animals who need urgent help. There's only one vet in this area who is willing to do emergency calls, and, ironically, he is not only the "ghetto-vet" with the lowest cost and smallest office in the area, but he's a state Senator. He gives out his cell and home numbers, and will meet you at 2AM if necessary.

Animal Planet used to run a show called "Emergency Vets"; they often treated animals and as far as I knew worked with payments... why are more vets not willing to do what they paid good money to go to school for? Help animals? Is money really that much more important than keeping your human AND animal clients healthy so they can CONTINUE to give you profit through vaccines/preventatives?

Take the Poll

What are your experiences with Emergency Clinics?
  • Good; they saved the day!
  • Bad. Horrible experience.
  • Mixed. Some good, some bad.
  • Never had to go to one!
vote
View Poll Results

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections