Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Five year old Husky's new behaviors
jackiej89 posted:
In the past few months or so I've been observing different behaviors from my 5 year old husky. It started with pee accidents in the kitchen, most of the time when she can get in there by herself and especially over night. Her way increased water drinking. Yes, this explains potty issues but she's very adamant on getting her water and it never seems to be enough. And thru out one night, she peed 3 times! As a husky she loves her water anyways but more times than not now she will lap down most of her big bowl of water and she ends up hacking and coughing afterwards. Also as a husky I'm used to the panting but it seems to also be excessive lately, especially at night. She went from being a finicky eater to chowing down her whole bowl. She's not overweight either. She used to love hanging out outside all day and now she pottys and wants right back in to guzzle down water. She could walk clear across town with me and back, and obviously run for hours, with energy to spare and now we were maybe 6 blocks and her pace slowed way down and was over walking anymore. When we had last visited the the vet, I had only noticed the accidents starting and he suggested she just needs some retraining to stop them. But now I'm just sure she's got something else going on and I'm afraid my vet will still stay adamant on his part it's just some potty training.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections