Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Growth under Upper eyelid of dog
SusanBak posted:
Hello,
I have a wheaton terrier who has developed a growth under the upper eyelid. It is not visible unless if you lift up the upper eyelid. I had noticed a little more tearing with that eye in comparison to his other eye. I had taken him to his primary Vet who recommended that we watch it but if it is larger than 1/3 of his eyelid, they would have to remove the eye ball as well because there's too much of the eyelid removed to keep the eyeball in place. The goal of he removal is that it would require the eyelid to be excised to assure that the margins of the removal are normal. I was horrified to think that's what they would do. It is a bit larger and now I'm considering taking him to an opthalmology vet in a larger city. I have one in mind, as my other dog saw the opthalmology vet for a tear duct issue. I had hoped there would be a type of laser to remove the growth versus excising the eyelid. Has anyone else had a similar situation?

Will Draper, DVM responded:
Susan: I have seen this situation before, but must admit that in 22 years of small animal practice I've never removed an eyelid growth that was so large that it required removal of the eye as well (called enucleation). I agree that a visit to a veterinary ophthalmologist is a good idea. Your veterinarian will likely have to make a referral to such, and should probably know the best options in your area. Best of luck to you with this...keep us posted.
Dr. Will

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections