Weak Hind Legs and Difficulty Walking
mkymowse posted:
I hope someone can help me.

I am currently going through a an issue with my 13 year old lab mix. Shek was fine yesterday and this morning, then all of a sudden her hind legs are weak, wobbly, she's falling, can't pull herself back up and is dragging her hind legs. I am grief stricken. Two months ago she had a full check up including blood work and the vet said her blood work came back great and she was very healthy. I am completely mystified. Shek has never had any mis-haps or injuries. This is heartbreaking to watch. She can not get up with out my assistance and I have to walk beside her providing support. She has no other symptoms, she is acting normal although I can tell this bothers her. She is eating normal. Despite having difficulty crouching to go to the bathroom, she is peeing and pooping normal. Her hind legs are extremely weak (it appears as such) and she keeps falling and dragging them when she attempts to walk. Has anyone had any luck with answers?
Joyce
jmarshall7991@gmail.com

rohvannyn responded:
I would wonder if it's a pinched nerve?

mkymowse replied to rohvannyn's response:
I hope that is all that it is. I spoke to a Vet last night and he thinks it's probably severe arthritis. A slight movement, anything, could have slipped a disc or caused a pinch nerve (as you mentioned). More than likely she will be put on prescription ant-inflammatory and we should see results in 24-48 hours, if arthritis is all that it is. I have an appointment for her tomorrow morning at a Vet and I will update this feed. Hopefully, I can provide information for others that may be experiencing this with their pets as well. I googled the issue last night and it seems to be quite common, but no one really seems to be getting any solid answers.
Thank you for your feedback.

rohvannyn replied to mkymowse's response:
Best of luck to you and your dog!

mkymowse replied to rohvannyn's response:
Our vet appointment today was very positive. The vet does think that due to the sudden onset of the loss of her hind leg movement that she may have a pinched nerve. She has started treatment today of Rimadul for ten days. He explained that this can occur at anytime for any reason, a slight movement, falling, anything. If we do not see effective results within the next ten days then the onset may be caused by neurological issues and we would then go the route of an MRI to check her spine. He recommends she be restful to allow herself to recuperate.

Thank you Rohvannyn for your feedback and well wishes!

Janelybean replied to mkymowse's response:
This happened to my cousins cat, and it was a blood clot ,she had a weakened ammunition system due to recent steroids, came in contact with an animal that had herpes, this further weakened her ammunition system, she appeared to be getting better, her fever was gone, eating better, then next day stumbled around dragging her legs, it was a blood clot, and her lungs were filled with puss,we had to put her down, she was ten, Chelsea was the best cat ever, I still cry and she wasn't even mine. We had several different opinions, she at asthma, she had allergy s,we just kept doing test, I understand and so do the vets, you can't always afford to do all of this testing,but it gives them closure too ,when you can, I hope you find out, I have a 15 year old lab, and a 15 year old Alaskan malamute, I've made the appt to put them down together Saturday, I hate to do it ,but my lab has cancer, and the malamute has epilepsy,and cushings, and can barely hold himself up as well as losing 30 lbs in a year, and I cook them chicken Brest at least three days a week, I'm just losing this battle,they have been wonderful pets and companions.

mkymowse replied to Janelybean's response:
Janelybean, I am so sorry to hear about the loss and illness' of your pets. It is so much to go through, they are a part of our family and are such a big part of our lives. Your situation is so heart breaking.

My dog has been on her medicine, Rimadul now for 7 days. I saw an improvement with her walking after the third day and now her walking is back to normal. I am grateful my dogs situation was treatable.

All the best to you and you are in my thoughts.

Warm Regards,

Joyce