Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

• Second Opinion

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Includes Expert Content
Holistic treatments for cat with kidney disease
Catluvr posted:
Has anyone tried holistic treatments? I have read about so many and some contradictions also, it's overwhelming. My cat was just diagnosed with kidney disease. Levels are just over normal. Only symptom is lots of water intake and outgo. He has also had hyperthyroid for last 2 years and urinary tract problems all his life, just eating c/d took care of that problem. But he has been switched to k/d now, vet said this has some same contents. I am giving canned food also now to help hydration. He has been taking thyroid med, now just started renavist for kidney problem and also supposed to start azodoyl soon. I think this is too much meds and chemicals from it all will not help his kidneys. There are so many herbs I have read about that are supposed to be good for this, he can't possibly take them all. Has anyone used any that have really helped? If so which ones and dosage? I would appreciate any advice from actual experience of what works or if not necessary, anything that has helped, vitamins, etc.
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
The problem with most "natural" remedies (for any use) is a lack of objective data on whether they are safe or effective. This doesn't mean they're not, it's just that there's a lack of data. In any case, if your cat's kidney disease is mild, switching him to kidney diets should suffice for now (there is data that shows that this works.) He should also have his blood pressure checked, as many cats with kidney disease have hypertension. Also, if his previous urinary tract disease was caused by struvite crystals, check his urinalysis once he's been on kidney diets for awhile, as they can promote formation of these crystals. Finally, make sure his thyroid levels are still normal, as low (not high) thyroid levels can interfere with kidney function

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 47 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections