Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Holistic treatments for cat with kidney disease
Catluvr posted:
Has anyone tried holistic treatments? I have read about so many and some contradictions also, it's overwhelming. My cat was just diagnosed with kidney disease. Levels are just over normal. Only symptom is lots of water intake and outgo. He has also had hyperthyroid for last 2 years and urinary tract problems all his life, just eating c/d took care of that problem. But he has been switched to k/d now, vet said this has some same contents. I am giving canned food also now to help hydration. He has been taking thyroid med, now just started renavist for kidney problem and also supposed to start azodoyl soon. I think this is too much meds and chemicals from it all will not help his kidneys. There are so many herbs I have read about that are supposed to be good for this, he can't possibly take them all. Has anyone used any that have really helped? If so which ones and dosage? I would appreciate any advice from actual experience of what works or if not necessary, anything that has helped, vitamins, etc.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
The problem with most "natural" remedies (for any use) is a lack of objective data on whether they are safe or effective. This doesn't mean they're not, it's just that there's a lack of data. In any case, if your cat's kidney disease is mild, switching him to kidney diets should suffice for now (there is data that shows that this works.) He should also have his blood pressure checked, as many cats with kidney disease have hypertension. Also, if his previous urinary tract disease was caused by struvite crystals, check his urinalysis once he's been on kidney diets for awhile, as they can promote formation of these crystals. Finally, make sure his thyroid levels are still normal, as low (not high) thyroid levels can interfere with kidney function

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections