Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Emergency C Section/Spay and retained kittens/felines
An_253157 posted:
My 4 year old persian cat, Sugar had to be spayed 14 days ago and had 3 dead kittens that were necrotic. The spay went well, but she developed a fever right away and has had it ever since..between 103.5 to 104.6. I am using a new vet who seems puzzled by the problem though she prescribed antibiotics thruout,,,,first baytril and clavamox...now I changed to doxycycline...now her belly is distended and she passes little urine, but does defacate. A week ago I took her in and she had a blood test, x-ray. It showed anemia and low albumin.
She has no idea why...she did say she (thought) she had a urinary tract infection...but she doesn't even go in the litter box anymore and strain. I don't know what to do....I have already spent $1200 and done tests that don't seem to help. I am also giving her 70ML of fluids every dday, too.

rohvannyn responded:
Talk to the vet. Not urinating is really serious as you know. Perhaps the vet can give you a break considering all the money you've already spent with them. At least call them for an opinion.

An_253157 replied to rohvannyn's response:
I need to find a new veterinarian...I don't have much cconfidence in this one. My original vet has left the area and this one was close to my home. She is nice with a good (bedside manner) but doesn't seem to know much about cats.
She is urinating a little, but does not eat, I have to syringe A/D and goats milk...I lso give syringe some water as well.
I continue fluids (hydration) daily....her fever is down, but her bbelly is distended (not right) and she sleeps most of the day.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections