Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Cat, Pooping String
ashleymarieriley posted:
My cat just jumped up on the couch & I noticed a string (maybe half an inch) sticking out of his behind. I asked my fiancé to pull it while I held the cat. He began pulling & it was longer than we anticipated. I told him to stop because I didn't want to hurt the cat. We cut off as much as we could... I figured he would get rid of the remaining string the next time he defecates.

1- Was that a good call? Should we have continued pulling? Could that have injured him in any way or would it have just felt uncomfortable?

2- Should I be worried? The cat is acting normal & does not act like he is in pain. From what I can tell, he has been having regular bowel movements. Could digesting a string or something similar cause internal issues? Curious.

Thanks in advance for any input.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
String foreign bodies can be very serious. If it doesn't pass, it will often damage the intestinal tract, which can be fatal. Never pull on the string. It's OK to cut it off, but an immediate examination is necessary before permanent damage occurs.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections