Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Cat's skin red with a bump
nomisbehvn posted:
Within the last week I noticed a slight bump and a kind of scab at the origin of my cat's tail and there was a little mild redness. I know she's been messing with it because at one time it bled a little and it has spread about three inches up her back. I have been putting Neosporin on it. I'm not sure if she encountered something outside (she's not an outdoor cat but she snuck out), or whether she's got some type of rash. Besides using peroxide, which I haven't done yet, I've been just layering it well with Neosporin. What could this be, and what else can I do to help treat it? I haven't bandaged it yet but am thinking about it since she can't help but try to lick at it when I get the medicine on her.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
There are many, many possibilities that can cause your cat's skin condition, from trauma to fungal infections, to allergies, etc. If it hasn't healed up by now, she needs to be examined by her veterinarian to determine the cause and most effective treatment. Most cats won't tolerate a bandage, so that's not usually a good idea.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

nomisbehvn replied to Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP's response:
Thanks, Dr. Wagner. I switched over to Hydrocortisone and that seems to be doing a lot better. She isn't messing with anything and nothing is red. Her skin is just a little pink, which may be normal, but I cut the hair so I could keep an eye on it. She still has the little bump at the origin of her tail but she doesn't seem to be bothered by it.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections