Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Teeth fell out, toungue hangs down turning blue, multiple large oozing sores on body.
hangloose posted:
MY 8 yer old shih tzu was the victim of a puppy mill, She has lost all her teeth causing her tongue to hang out about 4 inches, it is now turning blue.Both of her eyes have developed cataracts and she can't see very well. She now barks constantly "at the air". She has multiple sores on her body she chews at constantly. I cannot afford a vet bill so i treat her with antibiotic ointments and sour apple spray to try and prevent licking. I'm not sure if she should be put down or not, She seems miserable and myself and neighbors can't sleep with all the barking. Any ideas?

Take the Poll

It it time for this dog to be put down?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

rohvannyn responded:
That can be such a hard question, and you have all my sympathy. In the end it comes down to the quality of life, I think. If she's totally miserable and you don't have any hope of making things better for her, you may need to make that hard decision. I know what I would want someone to do for me, if I were sick like that. Either way, I wish the best for you and your dog.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections