Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
My older dog is regressing
Mrscoffeycake posted:
We share a home with my mother in law who has a PBGV (the dog from the beneful commercials) who is 7 yrs old. She adopted her about 2 years ago and she had a hard time house training. Eventually she was kind of paper trained and life went on. Well about two months ago my wife and I got a puppy who was 3 months and we have been crate training. She has had accidents in the house (because we trusted her too soon) and so we have limited he to the kitchen until she earns her way around the house. However the older dog has started going in the house again in the multiple places including areas where the pup went, and my mother in law is faulting the pup for this change in behavior(stating that if our pup didn't do on the floor the older dog wouldn't think its okay). Is it possible that my dog is causing this change in behavior and if so what can I do to fix this?

rohvannyn responded:
The older dog probably does think it's okay because the pup went on the floor. The smell left behind is probably indicating that this is an "okay" place to excrete, or at least a good place to leave a nice territory mark.

The best thing to do is reinforce the training in the older dog, let them know that it's not okay to eliminate in the house. Thoroughly clean any areas that have had urine or feces on them. If you can get an enzymatic cleaner (fairly cheap to buy at hardware stores or pet stores) use that, as well as anything you have that neutralizes scent rather than covering it up.

It may help to treat both dogs like puppies, since it doesn't sound like the older dog took too well to house training in the first place. Maybe training the puppy wil even help reinforce things. Either way, good luck!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections