Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
7 year old boxer - urinating blood with a swollen hind leg.
clarkam2 posted:
Greetings, pet health community.

I write today because I've just returned from the vet where I received unsettling news. The reason for the trip to the vet is this: I noticed my 7 year old, female boxer/mastiff was acting strange about going outside, was drinking much more water than normal and seemed very irritable rather than her normal happy-go-lucky self. Well, over the night she had an accident in the house, and I noticed a large amount of blood in her urine. I called the vet right away and took her in this morning.

The vet confirmed she has a urinary tract infection and has her on amoxicillin 4x per day. While the vet was doing a physical examination, he noticed her hind leg is incredibly swollen, and there appears to be a lump of some sort. He also noted her lymph nodes are swollen (he did explain this could be from the UTI). He aspirated the lump and also the lymph node closest to the lump.

The vet has called to confirm the leg aspiration indicates an infection that he hopes the antibiotic my dog is already on will help address.

While I am hopeful this is the case, I'm curious if there is a chance we're looking at something more serious? More specifically - could the infection be a sign of lymphoma? Has anyone else gone through something similar to this? If so, what was your outcome?

I still have a week before my dog is due back at the vet for a reevaluation, and just hope maybe someone out there has a reassuring story they might share.

Thank you for your time reading this.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections