Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
enalapril (Vasotec)
MrsReich posted:
This past tuesday I had to take My Max, who is a mix between Poodle and Dachsen back to the Vet, he had started to cough following by a gagging sound... Just what a kennel Cough would sound like... But I knew there was No way that Max could have the kennel cough as he has NEVER been to one, nor is he exposed to other dogs then our Megan who is a diabetic and Blind dog... Love them Both so very Much... my worries and stress levels are through the roof... I see the Vet with my Animals... 2-3 times a year at least... shots.. regular check ups.. March 2013 was when Max was diagnosed with a level 2 Heart murmur.. No medication or anything was needed... Now I was told he is at a level 5 as the coughing started, and the gagging.. Breaks My heart... My Vet put him on Antibiotics, and enalapril (Vasotec)2.5 mg
twice a day he also received an antibiotic shot and a vitamin booster shot. When I took him home I really did not hear him cough very often at all, and that night he seemed to be more comfortable then the night prior. But since last night he is coughing once again more frequently and the gagging. Max is 11 years old. I know I need to change his diet... even though the Vet did not say anything, the only thing she told me was that I could tell by his Gums that he has lack of Oxygen as the gums are lighter the Normal. Right now Max is on Pedigree for Seniors (small Kibbles) 2 cups with some wet food mixed in twice a day a routine I had to start when Megan was diagnosed with Diabetes. So at 0600 am and 1800 pm both get fed, Max gets his Meds Orally and Megan gets her insulin shots from me with each feeding. PLEASE IF ANYONE could HELP ME and GUIDE ME in a DIRECTION to where I don't feels so helpless and perhaps can do more then just give him meds and Holding him all day... (he is an active little stinker still) loves to go outside as we live out in the Country... he runs, but he loves to relax... always has been that way as I had spoiled him since he was a puppy... I do know I need to do something with his dental Hygiene as he is a very lazy and PICKY eater, doesn't like to chew his food (but has no Problems getting the T-bone out of the trash and chews it down in the middle of the Night in my Bed. Please any replies, help, suggestions are So very welcomed, I don't want to lose My Max over something I may could have helped by doing some extra... Thank you so very much in advance... and May God Bless all of you and your Sick Pups...

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections