Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Bichon Heart Murmur
Jacksonwd posted:
My 11.5 yo Bichon was diagnosed with a heart murmur 5 yrs ago. It was recently rated at a grade 3 level. He began coughing this month (Oct. 2013), but continues to enjoy his walks and playing fetch/tug of war with his thread bone. Admittedly, he doesn't play as long as he did a year ago. He had an x ray two months ago, with an ultrasound scheduled soon. His appetite and weight are fine. Mardi Gras is food motivated!!!!! Technically, he is 77 yo, which is pretty old. Oh yes, he takes a Cosequin Advanced Strength vitamin every day. If his health should take downward turn, I would consider his quality of life before administering various drugs to keep around for my happiness, not to mention the expense, when he is going to expire in the near future, anyway. Before the hairs on your neck rise, I take the same position for myself. My little guy lives a great life!!!!!

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hello, Sounds like you have a great little dog. Many veterinarians have pets as well and we agree with the importance of quality of life. Our pets live much shorter than we do and we do not run tests, perform treatments that are going to prolong a poor quality of life. But if the tests identify problems that we can treat to keep our pets filling good, and acting well, why not pursue the problem? Most of us don't want to lose our pets to diseases that we could treat, and of course, rarely our costs not a consideration. So, if he is coughing and might have early heart disease, there are some medications that can slow progression of his heart disease and have him live a longer, good quality of life, more time than he would have had if you hadn't given him the tests, or medications. Thanks for giving your little guy a great life. Dr. Sandy W

manydogz replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
Well...you didn't raise any hairs on my neck!!! There have been a few times in my life that I've had to make THAT decision and I always consider my dogs quality of life as well as the duration of any pain the dog may have. I once had an irish setter who broke his back. The vet told me it could be fixed but he would then have a life of pain even with the pain meds that were available at that time. He was a young dog but I had him put down rather than let him have a life of suffering just because I loved him and was going to miss him.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections