Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Acting Different growled
An_254343 posted:
My dog ( Heeler )3 yrs old- has always been happy playful and loving well behaved ,NEVER growled at me or anyone, never whined etc. . She got spayed a year ago ( no changes in attitude ect ). Its always been just her and me ,But in the last 6 months we moved in with someone he has 3 dachshunds ,the dachshunds are older and don't play with my dog much but they all get along.But when there up wandering around my dog starts whinning and nudging them ( I know that's heeler behavior ) but when my spouse gets home she whines and runs around and jumps on him . ( so I think shes happy ) but a few times shes been on the bed hes went to get in bed with us ( she sleeps at foot of the bed ) but lately shes been laying on my pillow and she has growled at him .then 2 times she has growled at me and she NEVER HAS BEFOR. she has lots of attention shes my world and a great dog but im worried if shes stressed because she is also holding her ears down or off to the side not up as usual is she stressed ???
if she is how can I make her feel better ???
thank you a worried pet owner .

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
It sounds as though you and your dog have had a very close relationship that is now being challenged by the presence of your husband and his dogs. You are correct. Being a heeler can make him genetically try to corral and herd the other dogs.

It sounds as though your dog may be jealous of your relationship with your husband. Having the dog sleep on the floor or in a kennel would be a good first step. Try having your husband be the only one to feed your dog...husband equals food which boosts the fondness level. Don't put yourself or your spouse in harms way. Let the dog know that when he behaves in a less than friendly manner that it is unacceptable. Rather than stress the negative, every time he is friendly towards your husband praise her and reward her.

I am concerned that the change in behavior may indicate an underlying medical issue...are her ears bothersome,,,does she have a bad tooth? Please make an appointment to have her examined by your veterinarian. If all checks out normally, she may need the services of a board certified veterinary behaviorist.

Best of luck....

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections