Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Fear of leaving home??
olgatoro57 posted:
A few months ago I had the pleasure of adopting a retired show dog, a 4 year old cavalier king charles. He has a been a joy except for the fact that he doesn't like to go on walks or any other outing like going to the park. He is just happy being home, in the backyard and going on car rides. I have tried giving him praise and treats as we go for short walks but after months of effort he has not made any progress. I want him to be socialized and be able to travel with him so any advice would be appreciated.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
Just like people, some dogs are home bodies. Your attempts to slowly entice your dog outside and make it a positive experience is perfect. Keep up your efforts. While on your walks, ask folks you meet to offer your dog a special treat and have this be the only time he gets a treat. He should then associate walks with people and treats!

Be sure that your pet is in good health and doesn't have any joint issues that may make it uncomfortable for your dog to go for a walk...if you CKC has not had a thorough physical exam, this would be a perfect reason to have him checked out.

olgatoro57 replied to Bernadine Cruz, DVM's response:
Thank you for your reply. I am happy to report that my CKC has no joint issues, he runs throughout the house and up and down stairs with no problems and he was checked by a vet.
I have been trying with the treats and praise for over 6 months now and have seen no progress, he still whimpers and appears frightened every time we go for our walks in spite of the fact that I have a Labrador I walk at the same time and we go the same route every time. Should I keep trying or should I just accept the fact that he is just happy being home. I don't have an problem with leaving him home and in the back yard. I just worry that with such limited stimulus he will become less socialized and therefore have further behavioral issues in the future.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections