Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
aspirin for dog with class 5 heart murmur
manydogz posted:
Recently someone dumped an old Chihuahua over my fence. I had her to the vet to treat her pneumonia and he told me she has a class 5(out of 6) heart murmur. Can I give her aspirin as a blood thinner so her heart won't have to work so hard? All I've been able to find out about her is that she's 15 yrs. old and she is obviously deaf and blind. I do have to give her benedryl for the constant bubbly nose but other than that she gets around very well and since curing the pneumonia she no longer wheezes.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
You are a very caring person to adopt and care for this senior pet, especially with all of her issues.

Please do not give your dog aspirin without your veterinarian's direct supervision. It can be toxic. There are medications that can assist the heart in working as efficiently as possible as long as possible but they need to be closely monitored and prescribed on a very individual basis. A cardiac workup is best...not just the determination of a murmur. An EKG, chest x-ray, blood pressure monitoring and possibly an ultrasound of the heart may be needed.

I know this sounds like a major investment in a dog that you didn't even want and it is. You and your veterinarian need to decide together what is best for you and your new dog.

You may decide to keep her comfortable until such time as the quality of her life no longer is acceptable.

Best of luck....

manydogz replied to Bernadine Cruz, DVM's response:
So far I've decided to just keep her comfortable as I can't afford all those tests and she is very old. She has a great quality of life and is one of the most intelligent dogs I've ever seen. She follows the vibrations your feet make and that enables her to follow me around. It's amazing what a deaf and blind dog can do. As far as her heart goes, she's self limiting. If she can't make it outside, which she prefers, she'll go to the puppy pad inside. And if she's hungry she'll go sit by the bathroom door as I feed her away from my other five Chihuahua's. Thank you so much for your reply.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections