Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    help nursing a dog
    An_254435 posted:
    I have a stray pit mix who is emaciated his collarbone, ribs, and spine are visible. I have had him for three days so far...he's eating and drinking well but my worry is when i take him out to poop or pee he had lost his balance four times already and fell over he does get up on his own but only when i call him. Is this normal due to his condition and will get better in the next few weeks??...I simply do not have the funds ro take him to a vet for blood test or anything i really do not...please help?!?!
    Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
    Hi there,
    It is too early to tell whether this doggie has a medical conditon causing him to be so thin, and apparently weak, or if it is just poor condition, malnutrition, etc. It has only been three days. If he continues to eat and drink, gain some weight, and get stronger I think you are on the right track. If he does not improve with tender loving care and good food, then he may have a medical condition. I think the next few days to a week should help you determine this. You should see gradual improvement if your care is working. Dr. Sandy
    amyamy88 replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
    Thank you soo much...yes hes been gaining the weight and he is soooo energetic now I feed him a combo of dry dog food and meats and veggies with no salt or seasoning added and he loves it. Sometimes rice and oatmeal beans lentils barley anything I have extra of but just boiling it and not preparing it like I would for me. He is such a great addition to the house and I can tell he is happy.

    Helpful Tips

    I think I finally have an answer for my grass eating Sadie!
    I have a Bloodhound/Lab mix, she is about four years old now, for the last two years she has been doing this same thing and I am so happy ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 2 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    Learn more about the AVMA

    WebMD Special Sections