Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
puss filled mass
An_254468 posted:
Help! 2 nights ago I noticed a large ball size mass under my 5yr old yellow labs top nipple. Tonight it is really swollen and seemed to be filled with puss. She is spayed so she is not pregnant or nursing. I am on disability and I cannot afford to take her to the vet. Any ideas on what this could be? Thank-u

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi, Well, if you are expressing puss from the mass it is probably infected. I cannot rule-out that a larger part of the mass is not some type of tumor as tumors can become infected. If the mass is all filled with puss, perhaps it is just an abscess. You can try expressing as much of the puss as possible, clear the opening with soap and water, sometimes I use hydrogen peroxide, and a triple antibiotic solution can help on the outside. But a truly big abscess needs to be drained by a veteriarian and only they can really prescribe oral antibiotics to get at the infection from the inside out. Sometimes we even find foreign material within an abscess, like a stick. If it continues to get larger, you will likely need to seek medical care and inquire as to financing before your doggie gets sick from the abscess. Dr. Sandy

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections