Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Three Year Old Golden Lays Down During Play
gordonkess posted:
I'm concerned about my three-year-old golden retriever who lays down in the middle of play (during cold or warm weather).

She loves playing fetch and begins fetching a tennis ball eagerly, but after five minutes or so, she will return and lay down for a couple of minutes before wanting to play any more, while other dogs continue playing. After the first time, she will then lay down after every two or three short fetches for the rest of the time we're playing.

She doesn't whine or seem in distress, but I worry she might have a heart or respiratory problem. Also, I hesitate to say she was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at six months, but has yet to show problems and has good range of motion and doesn't seem distressed when her legs are moved.

Can you offer any insight into any possible concerns? Thanks!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections