Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Dog with swollen lymph nodes, clear blood test and acting perfectly healthy
An_254746 posted:
I've got a health scare problem with my dog, most of his lymph nodes are swollen and the vets I had visited had been dropping the "C word" quite readily but today when I went to a different vet for the blood test it came back almost completely within norms with only a suggestion that granulocytes are up bordering on max. (some sort of infection?), no anemia, no heart murmurs, or lungs issues, basically he eats, drinks and is a picture of health apart from the swollen lymph nodes. He recently has been snoring in a way that suggests a sinus infection, but it seems to pass after an antibiotic dose and come back when it's time for his next.

Vet basically stated the following: not an immune disorder - no physical signs on skin etc., apparently not a fungal infection - vet said the symptoms did not line up with this, at this moment in time not lymphoma - apart from the swollen lymph nodes there is basically no other symptom to suggest this, which leaves bacterial/viral infection?

In August his ears were treated for a long reoccurring (years) infection of his ears which was caused allegedly by (swab analysed) streptococcus aureus BUT at the time he also had symptoms of a fungal infection due to skin flaking and paw compulsive licking - this was resolved with Easotic (anti-bacterial and anti-fungal) and went away almost instantly

Could anyone suggest a diet or what to get his immune system up? He has been given immune boosting pills by the vet.

An_254746 responded:
Anyone can help? Really worried about him

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi, Thank you for your patience. I think in order to determine what is wrong with those lymph nodes, infection, inflammation or possibly lymphosarcoma, we need to take a small sample for cytology. Multiple nodes can be sampled. Sometimes what is in the lymph nodes does not show up in the blood, but that was a good place to look. If the lymph nodes show inflammation, or infection, we can treat with antibiotics, treat for some tick borne diseases (depending on where you live) but I mainly want to find out why those nodes are swollen before looking at diets, etc. Hope this is helpful. I am assuming from your history that blood work was normal but that the cells in the lymph nodes were not yet examined. Dr. Sandy

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections