Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Hip Dysplasia Advice
jenny_p posted:
My 11 month old Border Collie has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia via X-ray. He's had discomfort and limping in his hind left hip after a significant amount of activity. He has been on anti-inflammatory and pain medication as well as glucosamine to help his hips and joints. We will be returning to the animal hospital in a few months to take more X-rays to see how he is progressing and we have already discussed possible treatments, leaning more towards a hip replacement which will definitely fix the problem. My question is how long can he go on with hip dysplasia without getting this surgery? It is extremely costly..but I don't want to put him in a worse position either. With limited activity and continuous use of vitamins and medication, he has shown a bit of improvement but after laying down for quite some time for a nap, he shows a lot of difficulty getting back up on his feet. Other than this, he is a happy puppy and the vet says let him be the puppy he is for now until we make a decision. Help

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
Jenny,
I am so sorry to learn of your pup's condition. Thankfully you were able to determine the source of his discomfort and seek appropriate medical therapy. Your primary care veterinarian can give you guidance on the suspected rate of disease progression when the follow up and examination and radiographs are taken in a few months.

The antiinflammatory medication will ease the discomfort. The supplements will allow the cartilage that is covering the joints to remain as healthy as possible as long as possible. Instability in the joint and the conformation along with your pup's weight also need to be taken into account. Keep your pup on the light side. Excessive weight mechanically puts a tremendous amount of stress on the joints. Fat also produces a large number of chemicals that are inflame the joints.

Besides a total hip replacement, other treatment options include accupuncture, stem cell therapy (go to http://www.vet-stem.com ) and injectable medications such as polysulfated glycoaminoglycans (a substance that simplicity makes the joint fluid slicker and a improves its lubricating properties).

Best of luck...
Dr. Bernadine

jenny_p replied to Bernadine Cruz, DVM's response:
Thank you for these other options! Would these be of benefit to him since he is so young? All of the clinics and hospitals I have been to thus far having been pressing for a total hip replacement as being the only for sure way to cure him of this condition.

alexandersmom2 replied to jenny_p's response:
Hi jenny. I also have a young dog. (will be 2 in May) golden retriever. He's been diagnosed with hip dysplasia by exray and has mild osteoarthritis. I had him on rimidyl for the past 3 months. Helped alot but it made him real doppy only 1/3 pill. Was giving twice a day. I have been doing laser theapy on Alexander 1x a week (after the initial 3X to start). Helps tremendously. Also this site recommended generic adequan injections 1x a week with the therapy. Slows down the breakdown of the cartilege and its not "drugs". Having great luck with this for now. Im going to leave the hard core stuff for later and let him be a puppy. Also I noticed on my dog if he lays around alot he's more sore. A little exercise is really good for them. Especially swimming when we get summer again! Good luck. I know what your going through. ALEXANDERS MOM

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections