Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
front legs collapse
ana2005 posted:
I have a 9 year old beagle, that has been seen at our local vet and our vert hospital for a few months, and all the tests are coming back with nothing. He has had a temperature and has not eaten. He has been given medication for all mentioned symptoms, and that part is now doing well, I think. He is still on his meds. But now I'm beginning to notice his front legs are beginning to give out and he walks with them wide apart. While he was eating this evening he lifted his back leg. He is also licking the carpet profusely. We don't know what else to do. Any ideas? Please help.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi there,
Sounds like you are looking with your veterinarian for a cause of fever, not eating and now front leg collapse. Is your dog weak? Have joint or back pain? There are some fevers that can cause joint pain/arthritis and back problems. The initial step reporting these new findings to your veterinarian and see if they can localize the problem: all over, joints, back, etc. Then we can try to decide what it is and how to treat it. Please let us know. Dr. Sandy

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections