Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
how do I stop mosquitoes from attacking feral cats
An_255002 posted:
I live in phoenix, az.
I have been allowing feral cats to live on my property because they eat roof rats. I had them all trapped and fixed and they are a healthy bunch. I do feed them also.
Every summer I very friendly guy gets devoured by mosquitos. His entire nose is bloody and raw. Right now most of the fur on his nose is regrown but soon he will be mosquito food again. Is there anything I can feed him to stop this horrible cycle?
I tried adding brewers yeast and garlic to food. He wouldn't go near it. He will eat meat with garlic but it hasn't helped. He is the only cat being attacked and he seems to be allergic from what I've read.
Someone has to know something I can try.
I have pecan trees that 12 gal. of water per trunk foot per day to survive. I have worked hard to keep my yard organic for my own health and safety.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
Sounds like you are a fabulous person for giving these feral cats such good care. Advantage Multi topical parasite control product may offer some great relief. I would suggest however that you remove all standing water from your property. This protects you, the other cats and your neighbors from the myriad diseases carried by these blood sucking insects. My concern is determining what is really causing this cat's nasal skin problem. You mat need to trap the cat and having your veterinarian examine the cat and determine the best treatment.
Best of luck...
Dr Bernadine

chlovesanimals replied to Bernadine Cruz, DVM's response:
Thanks so much. My vet wants me to try steroids or benedryl. He is friendly but may not like transport. No standing water just wet soil. He is only one being attacked.
He is too old for another summer of misery. Wish I could find inside home for him. He is just so sweet.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections