Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
My poop cat help ! Horrible gagging
v4joshua posted:
Took my cat to the emergency today because of gagging these past couple days (throwing up sound but nothing comes out) couldn't afford the X-ray untill Friday but the doc gave her a shot to help her breathing which seemed to work for a couple hours but now she's doing it again ...could this be asthma ? Should I worry ? She is a short hair ..1 years old ....I live in a small house with my GF & when we cook(which is often) the house gets smoked up real bad...my cat is vaccinated. Her gums are healthy & she's eats normally .....also I noticed her gagging became real bad today when I started to play with her...maybe the exercise got her worked up

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Yes, cats do get asthma. And we treat them with steroids. It can sound like coughing, even gagging. Gi upsets, hair balls can cause gagging. Your veterinarian's physical examination will help tell whether the problem is the airways or gut. I think your veterinarian is on the right track. I would try to air out that house a bit, avoid cooking that causes so much smoke, and lay a bit low on the exercise until she starts treatment. The "shot" she was given may have been steroids, check with your veterinarian. Any sign that your kitty is having difficulty breathing, see your veterinarian immediately.
Thanks for writing in. Dr. Sandy

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections