Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
bright red blood in female cats urine
melrflock79 posted:
I have a car who is about 6 yrs old and has had urinating issues for about six months. At the first 5 months she just urinated in inappropriate places. We have her Capri for the recommended 3 days and the problem seemed to improve but did not completely stop the issue. We felt maybe she had been jealous of our new baby in the house but in the past month her urine has been getting worse and is now a bright red and not droplets. I plan to collect her urine for analysis bc she has now has been back on the antibiotics for 8 days and her water intake has increased. I have felt her abdomen and she shows no signs of pain and has had no change in appetite or weight. My question is, if this sounds like a crystal or something more serious like cancer or kidney failure.

atti_editor responded:
Hi melrflock79,

The reasons for blood in your cat's urine could be numerous -- it looks like the most common based on the little research I did is a condition known as FLUTD or a urinary tract infection, but it could also signal something more serious like kidney disease. Here is some information I found on urinary tract diseases in cats . It is important that you get her into the vet so that he/she can determine exactly what is going on and suggest the best course of action. (I am in no way a veterinary professional.)

I hope that your girl is feeling better! Please keep us updated on her condition.

-Atti

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
This is a great question because, although there may be a behavioral component to her urinating outside her litterbox, it's quite apparent that she has a medical problem. Blood in the urine is indicative (in most cases) of cystitis, which is a generic term for inflammation of the urinary bladder. It doesn't, however, tell you the cause. Common causes include urinary tract infections, bladder or kidney stones, and idiopathic cystitis (or cystitis of unknown cause, often referred to as FLUTD.) Cancer and kidney failure are uncommon causes. It's best to let your veterinarian obtain the urine sample, as the results are much more accurate. She should also have a full blood panel, since she's drinking more, to look for diseases such as kidney disease, diabetes, and thyroid disease.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections