Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Could this problem be kidney related
An_255255 posted:
What would cause a dog to drink water excessively and urinate a lot every hour? Also has bad red rash/ sores on his lower abdomen?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hello,

Is you doggie older? It could be kidney related, but endocrine diseases such as diabetes mellitus and cushings disease (over production of steroid hormones) can do this as well. Cushings can be associated with skin disorders including hair loss and skin infections. We diagnose these diseases, after a physical exam, with a combination of blood work and urinalysis. That is a start. With cushings disease, there are some additional tests of endocrine function. Diabetes and kidney disease we can diagnose on initial blood work and urine testing. And there are other causes as well, such as high blood calcium. I would make an appointment with your veterinarian, but do not restrict your dogs water consumption because we don't want them to dehydrate. And for all these diseases, we do have treatments to slow down the disease and hopefully make them drink less and urinate less. LEt us know what you find out. Dr. Sandy

harry403 replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
I have been to my vet my dog has diabetes and has had many test and is on shoots for that and it has been over a year now last test he thought she also has kidney problems too. She still get up every two hours and urinate and drinks water he keep trying other test but she still the same do you have anything else I can should do?

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections