Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Six Month Old Kitten With Abscesses Need Suggestions!
kymomof4 posted:
Hi,
First thank you for taking the time to read and respond with suggestions. I adopted a female( 6 month old) Siamese Seal Point Mix from a local rescue group. My kitten (Cocoa) was kept at a Veterinary Hospital since rescue because of an abscess under her chin/neck area. The abscess had been drained and she was given a Conevia injection to help treat the infection. I was told she had been attacked by a dog. She had been at the hospital around 3-4 weeks before I adopted her. I was told by the Vet to do warm compresses to her neck 3 times a day to help the wound drain. She was also spayed the day before I picked her up. A week after I had her home, she still had drainage from her neck wound and developed an eye infection. I took Cocoa to my Vet to have her examined again. I was also concerned her wound had not healed. The vet ordered Amoxicillin, neomycin ointment for her eye, as well as drops for her ears because she had ear mites. She had the SNAP combo test and it was negative (this was done at the hospital before I adopted her). two days later her right front paw developed an abscess. I started warm compresses to see if I could get it to drain. (She was already on Amoxicillin). Two days after her foot swelled I noticed some bloody drainage coming from her underside. When looking for where the bleeding was coming from, I noted a large hole with two smaller holes on the inside of her back leg just below her groin area. There was a small amount of pus draining as well as blood. This hole was so deep I could see a muscle. I immediately took her to the Emergency Vet Hospital, she had 104.5 temp. They did blood work and they only ones were abnormal were elevated WBC, Slightly low Platelets and a positive or elevated protein. Her kidney function test was fine. ( I don't have a copy of the actual results). The doctor advised a f/u with my vet the next day and mentioned a possible culture/biopsy of the tissue to see if it is a fungal infection. He also switched her antibiotic to Clindamycin. The day following I returned to my vet who, like the emergency vet was perplexed with what could be going on with her...

She received a Penicillin and Vitamin B injection. He also said the next step would be to culture and biopsy to check for a fungal infection. This would cost several hundred dollars and there was a mere hint of maybe the best thing would be to put her down?

I don't have the heart to give up on her just yet!
She is eating and drinking normally (she gained 1/2 lb in 5 days and now weighs 4.5 lbs)
Urinating and having normal looking bowel movements
The only thing I notice out of the norm for a cat her age is no interest in playing. She just lays around... She purrs like crazy when you are petting her and shows affection....

I would agree with maybe putting her down if she wasn't eating and losing weight, but I feel she has some fight in her and so do I...

For now I want to see how she responds to the PCN injection and Clindamycin (my vet told me to continue as well). She received the PCN on January 27th (2 days ago). Her wounds actually look a little bit better and there is very little pus like drainage and more serous sanguineous. Her eye infection has not responded well and she has a small pea sized reddened area (new) above her eye which I am concerned about.

Is it an option to go ahead and try an antifungal?
I have also heard Conevia has some bad side effects with cats....

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted you to have a decent history...
Also, I do live just 10 minutes South of the Ohio river... (Valley area)

Thank you so much and I look forward to any suggestions

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
Cats with recurring, non-healing wounds can be very perplexing. The most common cause by far is a bacterial infection, so it's possible she's not on the correct antibiotic. A culture will tell you this. There are also other organisms that can cause these symptoms, including fungal infections, yeast infections, and atypical bacterial infections (such as mycobacteria.) These infections require specialized cultures, biopsies, blood tests, etc. to diagnose. They're quite uncommon, but do occur. Here's the serious part: some of these infections are contagious to humans, so there's another reason to find out what kind of organism she's dealing with. Please discuss this further with your veterinarian.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections