Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Seizure in adult dog
firthhouston posted:
My 8 year old healthy dog had a zeizure. The emergency vet diagnosed him as having an epileptic seizure & prescribed medication with no answer as to what caused it or why... Every day twice a day like clock work I gave my dog the medication to prevent any more episodes.... My dog died 3 weeks later.. The day before he passed when he got up he walked in circles & was disoriented.. The morning of he got up & ate all of his food & went out to do his business then he came in laid down & died.. I don't under stand what happened & why

tmt102961 responded:
I just lost my 2 year old White German Shepherd in basically the same way. He had his first seizure on a Sunday afternoon and after it was over he was back to him normal healthy self. I took him to the vet the next afternoon and was told that it was probably Epilepsy. No meds were given but i was told to call if he seized again. By the next morning he had 16 seizures and couldnt even stand up..took him back to the vet that morning and they kept him and tried eveything they could to try to just get his seizures to stop....nothing would help and we finally had to make the decision to euthanize on Thursday. We never did find out what caused any of it to happen. I am still upset and confused about it. The vet said he never had a case like it before.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections