Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
My toy Pom honks like a goose.
leinad1945 posted:
Exercise or excitement brings on the 'honking', but she will wake herself up with her 'honks'.
Is there any medicine that can help?
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Depends on what she has. May be a collapsing trachea, or inflammation. Have your veterinarian do a physical exam on your Pom to make sure the heart is okay, lungs sound good, and see if the trachea is extra sensitive. Then we can try some medications to make her more comfortable. It is hard to know what do to without knowing what the problem might be, and don't want to treat for one disease when she has another disease. Dr. Sandy
leinad1945 replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
Dr. Sandy, my Pom was seen by a Vet. She said my dog had a small trachea. The Rx she gave me did not help.(I gave it to her for 3 months). The Rx is primarily a anti-diarrhea med. Can you recommend a Rx that might actually help my Pom. I would like to ask my Vet about any Rx you could recommend. Many thanks for your time.
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM replied to leinad1945's response:
That may be cerenia, which helps to reduce inflammation. Most veterinarians use a combination of medications: cough suppressants, bronchodilators, antibiotics, sometimes steroids, and light sedatives to reduce gag reflex, etc. Please let your veterinarian know that she is still honking like a goose and to see what else your veterinarian can try. These doggies can be frustrating, but we are trying to give everyone, you and your doggie, some peace. Dr. Sandy


William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections