Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Is strep possibly contacted via cat human dog human or vice versa?
An_255415 posted:
Had the flu ( like a lotta ppl) and shortly their after I contracted strep throat . I was in the bathroom and as usuall my cat followed she immediately jumped on my counter and began to chew only electric toothbrush At first I thought this was funny ( she's into oral hygiene even though she licks her ass and worse I am sure ) and immediately threw it away but then came the thoughts of OMG how long has she been brushing her teeth with MY toothbrush and did I contact so Etching from her like this strep or even has she gotten sick from me ? Help pleez

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
A good website to look at infectious disease questions is www.wormsandgermsblog,com. Strep Throat is caused by group A strep, a group that pets really don't have and there really isn't any evidence to say that pets give people strep throat. If you search that website, put in strep or strep throat on the side and see what the expert says. That said, I would keep kitty away from the tooth brush just cuz....Pets are rarely the source of human infections. Dr. Sandy

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections