Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
rebel my cat
nailhead posted:
My cat is 8 years old. He already used his 9 lives up. He wont eat. He taste or looks at his food and makes a scarey cat growel noise. He is not himself. He has never done this before.This has started a week ago. What is wrong with my buddy

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi Nailhead,
There are so many causes for not eating, termed anorexia. The most common causes are something wrong with the gastrointestinal system, stomach or small bowel, but there are really so many causes. And the important thing to know about cats: they are susceptible to developing a fatty liver syndrome if they don't eat or don't eat enough. Your veterinarian would look for causes based on their exam, but sometimes we need blood work to look at the organs, sometimes xrays to look at the stomach and intestines, to find out what is wrong while we try to get them feeling better again with supportive care, like fluids, stomach protectants, appetite stimulants, etc. Dental disease is rarely a cause of not eating. So, it is hard to tell you what is wrong because it could be many things. You can try some warmed canned food, a little tuna juice on top might make it more tasty, but you will really have to see a veterinarian if that doesn't work. Let us know what you find out. Dr. Sandy

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections