Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
pet scootching iritated bottom
An_255815 posted:
My dog is constantly scootching and it seems like her bottom is irritated she cannot stop scootching for more then a few min there seems to be splotches below her tail and around bottom hole What can i use to help her as i was using pro sense antiseptic but it expired in nov 2013

rohvannyn responded:
Sounds like impacted anal glands to me. Dogs have scent glands next to their anus that squeze a little bit of scent out every time the defacate. If their stools are too soft sometimes those glands don't get emptied properly and they can even become inflamed or infected. This causes itching and pain.

You can learn to gently squeeze them empty but it's something that should be learned from a vet, not the internet. It's not too dangerous but something the vet can help you fix. Disinfectant won't help.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hello,

I agree that it does seem like her anal glands need to be checking and if they are small and empty, perhaps a rectal exam might be in order. But those small glands hear the bottom do get full and irritated, and they can get infected and turn into a real mess. So I would consult your veterinarian and ask them about your learning how to express them. Dr. Sandy

cmeleca replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
Thank you will do that I have an appointment soon and that is sort of what I figured it to be she has had that issue before but this time she was scootching so much more then normal One ? will aloe lotion hurt her in any way? to stop the itching thank you for responding

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections