Includes Expert Content
gum
avatar
dsalvador85 posted:
My dog ate a lollipop that had gum in it and was wondering if she is going to be ok
Reply
 
avatar
rohvannyn responded:
The gum will just pass through her, more than likely, harmlessly. It's not likely to cause a blockage unless she ate a great deal- it's just like a kid swallowing gum.
 
avatar
AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
Hopefully your pet is doing well at this point. I would like to stress that certain candies are sweetened with xylitol. This ingredient can be very toxic to pets. Care should be taken to keep all sweets, especially those sweetened with this artificial sweetener away from dogs. If one is ever ingest, a quick trip to the emergency clinic or your daytime practitioner is just what the doctor ordered.