Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Trying to come to terms with loss
jensierra posted:
My cat Tony was taken to the vet in early December 2013 due to decreased appetite. He was discharged after a few days with a diagnosis of Inflammatory/Infiltrative Bowel disease and Pancreatitis. His labs were good but the special Pancreas test revealed the Pancreatitis. He was prescribed Prednisole and Metronidazole. His appetite ebbed and flowed but he was doing okay and tolerated the meds. I brought him back for a weigh in after 3 weeks, when they instructed me to. He had lost more weight. He was then prescribed an appetite enhancer, and his antibiotic was reduced by half, but after another week and another weight check, he had lost yet more weight. He was admitted again by the vet, who started him on fluids and continued his medications. During an ultrasound, the vet told me he had found a common bile duct obstruction, plugged at the papilla. He told me Tony was not a surgical candidate and that he could unplug it medically. He stated it would take a few days to uncork and that Tony would be placed on a gram positive and gram negative antibiotic and "bile replacement" (not sure what that was). He rallied about two days later, having solid stool and eating, and then he took a dive. He was placed on IV fluids, received a B12 shot, but he could not hold the fluids or maintain his body temperature. The day before he died, his skin ripped apart on his head and they had to stitch it up. The vet told me he had developed skin fragility syndrome. He died the next day, the 9th day of his hospitalization. Throughout this, the vet maintained he could medically remedy the situation. He never mentioned surgery to me. After Tony died, I spoke to him and he stated surgery would have been too risky. Does this sound right? Was I given all viable options?

Will Draper, DVM responded:
jensierra: So sorry for your loss of Tony. Of course, each case is different, and commenting on a patient that you haven't personally examined is difficult to do, it does appear your vet provided viable options for you, and probably helped extend Tony's quality and quantity of life. While loss is difficult to accept, I feel you should rest assured you did all that you could for your sweet Tony.
Dr. Will

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections