Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Quality vs quantity of life
youngmiller posted:
My 6 1/2 border collie mix has been recently diagnosis with lymes and blastomycosis. She also had something seriously wrong with her eye which is being looked at by an eye certified vet tomorrow (likely glaucoma and/or tumor). She has been moving around much better the past couple days from pain meds (and hopefully treatment), but her eye is worse. I have been so worried and scared of what may happen and trying to take things day by day. She has been my baby since she was 4 months old. Aside from financial stress, I worry about her comfort level. I am wondering your opinions of what is humane for quality vs quantity of life on a situation like this. I am so back and forth and emotionally exhausted to think completely clearly . Your opinions are appreciated.

rohvannyn responded:
You can usually tell if a dog doesn't enjoy living. If they lose interest in things they usually enjoy, stop wanting to eat, are in constant pain etc, you can tell. If she does okay with her other issues but loses the use of one or both eyes, that isn't going to affect her quality of life too badly. Dogs who are blind can often live very normally because they usually rely more on ears and noses anyway. If you listen and watch, your dog will let you know. I hope she gets better!

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
My heart and thoughts go out to you. I can tell from your posting that your border collie is a very important part of your life and that you care deeply. She sounds to have some very serious health challenges and wrestling with the topic of quality versus quantity of life is so difficult. We all want our pets to live as long as possible with the best quality possible. There are times when the two diverge greatly. I recommend that my clients honestly complete the 'Quality of Life Scale' questionnaire that can be found http://www.pawspice.com/downloads/QualityofLifeScale.pdf

The entire family can complete it and together can make the decision that is best for all of you.

Wishing you peace....

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections