Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Ruptured cyst
dianer01 posted:
My 6 yo, 20 lb pom mix has had a cyst on her back for several weeks, it wasn't bothering her, she wasn't worrying it, it seemed to be pretty stable. We noticed some "stuff" on her this morning and upon closer examination found the cyst ruptured.

We called our regular vet and they seem to have a new person running the front office and she has explained they are far too busy to see us this week, would we like to make an appointment for next week. UGH! We have explained urgent as there is a hole in this dogs back roughly the size of a dime, she would not budge on the appt.

Unfortunately we cannot afford the emergency vet right now.

So this is what we did,

We got out the clippers and shaved the fur down to the skin, put her in the shower and expressed as much as possible from the cyst then rinsed for quite a while with warm water. We rinsed with hydrogen peroxide, dried the area and covered with a nonstick bandage.

Overall she is a healthy dog, current on all of her shots and does not seem to be in distress. She is in her bed sound asleep.

Of course we will be changing her dressing at least daily but any other thoughts about what we can do to help this heal quickly?

rohvannyn responded:
Sounds like you did everything I could think of as far as wound care goes. The only thing I could think of some type of antibiotic ointment that is safe for dogs, but you wouldn't want her licking it. If she's acting normal it sounds like it would be safe to wait a little for the vet. Do you know what caused the cyst?

dianer01 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thanks for your thoughts rhovannyn,

We changed bandages twice yesterday and will do the same today, I did use an antibiotic cream around the edges to keep them moist and soft but I don't want to "seal" in any more gunk which wants to come out. So far, so good, she still isn't worrying the wound, or dressings and the other dogs are leaving her alone.

Thanks, again!

brickdumazza responded:
Dont know if this was resolved for you but I went through a similar situation. Tooks months for us to find out it was a foxtail. 6 months of this was a leaking cyst. Just pus kept constantly producing. We didnt know what it was. A sebaceous cyst or foxtail. Surgery couldn't even produce an answer. It wasn't until a foxtail miraculously pushed it's way out that we finally figured it all out. Now that it's out her cyst is closing and the pus actually stopped immediately. We are VERY strapped for cash and found we were able to get Care Credit. Something to look into for anyone that has pets. I'll never be without it now for that emergency vet trip. What your doing now is exactly what the vet had me do though. Hope your pup is better.If not hope my experience gives you some ideas.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections