help! my dog wont eat or drink for 2 days
rochelledgreco posted:
She is not eating or drinking and is not wanting to even get up from laying down. Her gums are a little pale from being dehydrated.

dianer01 responded:
Hi,

Not eating is one thing, most dogs can survive a fair amount of time without much food. Not drinking is a different story. If the dog is dehydrated this can affect their heart, kidneys and other organs. This can go from bad to worse very quickly.

I am a pet owner, not a medical expert but do believe you have a medical emergency and should be seeking help from a vet as quickly as possible.

rochelledgreco replied to dianer01's response:
Thank you for posting. I am not the dog owner unfortunately and the pet owners just cannot afford any vet bill. I am at a total loss with what I can do for this poor sweet dog. If anyone can recommend anywhere that can help with medical costs or anything I can do please please let me know.

dianer01 replied to rochelledgreco's response:
I would call your local humane society or even animal control to find out if there is any no cost or low cost care available in your area.

I don't want to get on my soapbox because you are the concerned third party but the failure to provide appropriate medical care for a pet can be considered animal cruelty in some areas.

My only other thought would be to try something like a homemade broth or commercially prepared low sodium broth to see if the smell of the broth won't tempt the dog to drink.

rochelledgreco replied to dianer01's response:
Oh thank you. I got her to eat small amounts of broth with little chunks of Turkey . I think that's a good sign and she did drink some water too! Hopefully she is getting better

rohvannyn responded:
Knowing why she is feeling this way would help too. Usually if a dog won't eat or drink there's a good reason. Injury? Sour stomach? Disease? Depression? There could be so many things. Hope she feels better soon.