Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

help! my dog wont eat or drink for 2 days
    rochelledgreco posted:
    She is not eating or drinking and is not wanting to even get up from laying down. Her gums are a little pale from being dehydrated.

dianer01 responded:
    Hi,

Not eating is one thing, most dogs can survive a fair amount of time without much food. Not drinking is a different story. If the dog is dehydrated this can affect their heart, kidneys and other organs. This can go from bad to worse very quickly.

I am a pet owner, not a medical expert but do believe you have a medical emergency and should be seeking help from a vet as quickly as possible.

rochelledgreco replied to dianer01's response:
    Thank you for posting. I am not the dog owner unfortunately and the pet owners just cannot afford any vet bill. I am at a total loss with what I can do for this poor sweet dog. If anyone can recommend anywhere that can help with medical costs or anything I can do please please let me know.

dianer01 replied to rochelledgreco's response:
    I would call your local humane society or even animal control to find out if there is any no cost or low cost care available in your area.

I don't want to get on my soapbox because you are the concerned third party but the failure to provide appropriate medical care for a pet can be considered animal cruelty in some areas.

My only other thought would be to try something like a homemade broth or commercially prepared low sodium broth to see if the smell of the broth won't tempt the dog to drink.

rochelledgreco replied to dianer01's response:
    Oh thank you. I got her to eat small amounts of broth with little chunks of Turkey . I think that's a good sign and she did drink some water too! Hopefully she is getting better

rohvannyn responded:
    Knowing why she is feeling this way would help too. Usually if a dog won't eat or drink there's a good reason. Injury? Sour stomach? Disease? Depression? There could be so many things. Hope she feels better soon.

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
    Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    19 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections