Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
the visit to the vet
tazthedog posted:
hi, today my boyfriend came home to vomit on the floor & my chihuahua profusely licking the floor..gagging coughing and licking the floor....so we got him to the vet Taz is almost 10 yrs of age and is a very health dog. so get to the vet expain what was going on...showed his a video of the floor licking. suggested blood work...okay results he hs an inflamed pancreaus ....told him gave him a small meat bone from the deli boiled ...said maybe to much fat & protien and now he is inflamed ...gave him a shot to stop the vomiting & some med's to take home....he's resting on the couch & am not to give him a thing until possibly tomorrow 5-2-14 afternoon time to see if the inflamation goes down....if this still continues its back to the vet & some IV fluids will be given.....ugh feel horrible give this dog nothing bad & thought it would be ok for a true meat bone to be o since my friends give it & they are ok!!!!! now sit & wait to see if he gets better......I'm so sad by this! pancreatitis......omg omg

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Wow, some dogs just are very sensitive to any new food item so hopefully your dog responds to what sounds like good care, fluids, keeping the stomach rested, and hopefully he will be back to health soon. Please don't feel badly...it can happen to the best of us. Good luck. Dr. Sandy

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections