Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
not Pooping in his box
An_257130 posted:
My 3 year old cat just starting pooping behind my bed. When i blocked it he then pooped out on the porch. He has since day on gone in his box. He is also very nervous, always walking around scared. He hurt his nails real bad about two months ago. I brought him to the vet, she gave him a shot of antibiotics in case it was infected. He is an indoor cat and has never gone out. I dont no what to do, He is also hissing at my daughter but not me.

rohvannyn responded:
I wonder if standing in the litter made his feet hurt, so he associates the litter box with pain? Also, his feet might still hurt. You might try cleaning his pan out really well and putting in another form of littler, or maybe even shredded newspaper, so it's more comfortable for his feet. If he still refuses to use the box, you may need to put down some puppy pads or something on the porch and try to retrain him once his feet feel better.

I have a cat who had a terrible habit of pooping on the bathmat every time her litterbox got the least bit dirty, and she quit that and went back to the box once we got rid of the bathmat. She'd pee in there just fine. I guess cats are just finicky with the greater time investment of pooping.

Good luck to you!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections