Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
frequent urinary tract infections
curlyq912 posted:
I have a 3 yr old male cat (indoor only) who gets frequent urinary tract infections. The longest he's ever gone between infections is 4 months. 2 weeks ago he was put on an antibiotic and uroeze, and the vet asked to see him back to ensure the infection was cleared up. We took him in today -- the infection is still there and his pH is higher than it was 2 weeks ago. He has never had crystals, no blood, and today's x-ray was negative for stones. He's been put on a different antibiotic, a steroid for inflammation, and uroeze again. Is there anything I can do to keep him from getting these infections? How much of a part does litter and cat food play in this? I've also heard that I should let him be an indoor/outdoor cat, that helps somehow. Is there any truth to this?

rohvannyn responded:
If a cat went outside a lot, I suppose that would encourage them to eliminate whenever they wanted and that could help flush out or prevent infection.

Something that might help your kitty is one of those drinking water fountains, so he is encouraged to drink more. Low ash food meant for cats with urinary tract problems, as well as more wet food, will help flush out his system and prevent bacterial growth.

Talk to the vet about what his blood sugar is. In humans, high amounts of sugar in the urine can foster UTIs. Sometimes his urinary PH can be too high or too low, certains levels can also help UTI bacteria grow. I don't know if cranberry extract would help him so ask the vet, but it sure helps people.

curlyq912 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thank you so much for the great advice! I plan to introduce your diet recommendation, I'm going to switch litters to a non-clumping brand, and I saw some products on 1800petmeds.com that I will try. Cranberry extract was one of them, I'm also going to try a D-Mannose chew that claims it will coat the bladder to keep bacteria from adhering to it, and inhibit growth. I'll post what works.

The corrolation between blood sugar and pH is very interesting -- I'll keep it in mind if he has another recurrence. I'm hoping that with all these changes I can break the cycle. Let's hope this is the last of his UTI's!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections