Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Pain relief at home for older dogs
suki39667 posted:
What can I give my 12 yr. old dog for joint pain relief at home? Aspirin doesn't seem to last very long, and I'm told it's not safe to use for extended periods.

rohvannyn responded:
It works slowly, but I've had awesome results with Cosequin. It's a dietary supplement that can be sprinkled on their food or fed in capsule form. It has Glucosamine, Chondroitin and some trace elements, and works to help heal the joints. I've known some pets that didn't respond to it and others who acted like they were years younger. You can buy it at pet stores or on Amazon.

suki39667 replied to rohvannyn's response:
@ rohvannyn- Thanks. I'll try it!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections