Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Infection, allergies, or skin irritation
brennantdogg44 posted:
My dog had fleas for the past week and a half and I have been applying flea and tick spray. And he has stopped biting his butt area where there are now bald spots but he also has red skin from his front legs to the back on his belly and on his chest he has brown spots and he has dark spots on his side's and has what feels like scabs where his armpits are so I'm not sure if it's an aftermath of the fleas that just hasn't gone away yet. I've also changed his dog food to a cheaper brand recently (3 weeks ago) so it may be an allergy but I found someone online with a dog with the same symptoms and it had a staph infection but I don't have the money to go to the vet for all of the treatments so I was hoping to get some other ideas on what it might be before taking him to the vet and spend a couple hundred dollars

westcoastann responded:
sounds like a Staph infection...but I am NOT a vet....If it is, he will need antibiotics. If you take him to a Vet, get the prescription and then get it filled at a pharmacy...MUCH cheaper..You can also buy Antbiotic Cream at a Drug Store, and that will help any pustuls on and around his butt.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections