Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Idiopathic Head Tremors (Canine)
An_257688 posted:
I have been reading on this subject, here and on other sites, with great interest for several reasons. I recently adopted a pair of Siberian Huskies, after losing 5 of my pack within 6 months, due to various reasons. Seizure, Cancer, Valley Fever, reckless driver, and one shot as a marauder, buy a gun-crazed redneck. I have had Huskies for almost 20 years and have seen many strange diseases and symptoms, some unique to the breed, others to 'Northern breeds, other just canine, but I had never seen the subject ailment, in fact never even heard of it. The 2 new dogs, both 8 years old, have been with me for almost 2 months now, and aside from the 'normal' wackiness of the Siberian Husky, I saw nothing out of the ordinary, other than one of them having a hip disease (non-dysplastic) that was corrected with surgery, but she has a limp now, but can still run like the wind. In a dog park meeting just a few days ago, the former owner came to visit them. She mentioned that "JJ" (the male) had an occasional 'head tremor', where his head shakes uncontrollably. It lasts a few minutes then stops. It does not affect him in any way, in fact he hardly notices it, and will even eat while shaking. I had not seen this behavior. Not until the next day. He walked up to me, his head shaking a mile a minute and scared the bejeezus out of me, but it was not bothering him at all, and I remembered what she had told me about this, which led me on this search. Oddly enough, every website I have been to assigns this problem to the 'bully dogs', yet JJ is a full pedigreed Siberian Husky. I have seen several suggestions for treating this 'problem', but Beth had told me he has had it all his life, and it has done nothing harmful to him, which seems to be the veterinary consensus I have read so far, as well. (Coincidentally he just came up to me while I am typing, his head shaking. I got him a slice of turkey, and it stopped!)

I am not sure why I am here or what I am looking for (other than a little hand-holding LOL!). So if anyone out there has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. And for you vets out there, you can add Siberian Huskies to the list! Thanks

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections