Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Frantic Licking
sverbeek posted:
I have a 17+ year old Jack Russell who is exhibiting the sudden onset of frantic licking and funny noises coming from her throat. It started in the middle of the night and continued until I gave up and got out of bed at 5:30 this morning.

She did not eat a bite of her breakfast (not even a Dog Nation treat)
but has been driinking alot of water. She looks just miserable and continues to have the same frantic episides - several per hour, sometimes including suddenly chewing on anything close at hand - last episode included chewing on a metal table leg.

She is in perfect health (other than age) and is on no medication and normally eats very regularly (Nutro), which she's been on for years.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this behavior.

nhgolfer responded:
Our 10 year old Jack Russell has exhibited the same behavior several times. We have found that Pepto Bismol has been helpful. We have also tried Pepcid AC which also seems to help a bit. For some reason these behaviors always occur at night.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections