Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Question about claws
An_258182 posted:
My cat's back claws have a little black line running through them, towards the bottom the black lines become thicker. The front ones do not, they are white. I have had my vet clip them and she wasn't very helpful with information. Is this normal? I am scared to clip them in case this isn't normal. My cat's vet acted like it was no big deal and cut them, but I am paranoid and don't want to hurt him. He is a tuxedo cat if this matters. I haven't had a cat since I was younger and back then they were declawed (I know not to have it done, I am fine with trimming them, just need advice!)

rohvannyn responded:
Sounds like just a color variation in the claw. Are you able to see where the blood vessel is, in the thick part of the claw? Just clip the tips, where the claw is thinner, and you should be fine. If you aren't sure, just clip a little at first till you get to know them better.

lalumbaugh replied to rohvannyn's response:
The base is mostly black and it thins out closer to the tip. I have cut off the very tips, but the claws are still long. I have been searching the internet for awhile now and haven't found anything. So I was hoping someone would know. I bought some styptic powder just in case, but wanted to make sure he wouldn't be hurt by this. I am going to start off cutting small amounts but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask around first

rohvannyn replied to lalumbaugh's response:
You can usually find diagrams that show the correct length to cut. Also, guage by how far the "quick" (blood supply) reaches in his front claws, and that will tell you how far to cut in the back. Good luck with your furry cactus!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections