Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
lazy obese cats that need stimulation
beacher1 posted:
Is cat nip safe for cats ?

Take the Poll

Is cat nip safe for cats ?
  • No it is considered a drug
  • yes it won't harm them
vote
View Poll Results

rohvannyn responded:
It depends on the cat. Most cats I've met were either energized or made sleepy by catnip, though I knew one who was allergic to it and couldn't tolerate it.

Catnip will have a more "energizing" effect if you put it in one of those balls with holes in it, so the cats chase it trying to get into it.

Try just a pinch to start with to check their tolerance, they may eat it, roll in it, or do both. Then if they do okay give them a little more. The effect is pretty temporary.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections