Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
My dog ingested a disposable diaper
AliceBurns posted:
My dog ate part of a disposable diaper while I was at work today. She had a normal bowel movement but kept straining. Now she is lying on the sofa trembling. Will the diaper harm her?

KittyKatJenn responded:
It can certainly get lodged in her intestines. It sounds like she is not acting normally so I would get her to the vet as soon as possible. While pets eat strange things a lot it should not be taken lightly. Any change in mood or anything and you should take them. I learned that after my cat ate some ribbon. They had to cut her open to get it out. It had sliced up her intestines and got caught in her stomach. We almost lost her and had we waited another day we probably would have. Take your dog in.

AliceBurns responded:
Update. I took her to the emergency vet last night. Lucky for me he is right across the street. Her fever was well over 104. He gave her Barium for X-rays. It was in her stomach and intestines. She was extremely dehydrated because the material in the diaper was soaking up all her moisture. He kept her for 24 hours. She is home now, but I don't think she would have lived thru the night if I hadn't taken her. $1000.00 later, my fur kid is still with us. What an expensive lesson. Don't leave diapers in the house! Ever!

KittyKatJenn responded:
I feel your pain. My kitty ate balloon ribbon and it just shreddedd her. She was in the hospital for almost a week. They had to cut her open. Silly thing...if there is any type of string or anything she tries to eat it still. You would think she learned her lesson! We have to careful at what toys we buy also. I am glad your baby is ok!

N4nd4 replied to AliceBurns's response:
I'm happy to hear that everything went OK with your emergency. My dog ate an overnight pamper and we didn't know about it until he passed it 3 days later. Unfortunately the morning just before passed the pamper in the middle of the night, he had diarrhea, vomit and urine all over the house. We took him straight to the vet. He has been there for three days on steroids, antibiotics, IV's amongst other things. He is very jaundice and his stomach and intestines are a mess. He had a pretty low white blood cell count but now it has gotten up to all most normal. I was just hoping you could remember the procedures your vet use to get your doggy home.
Thanks, N4nd4

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections