Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/pets/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManagement@webmd.net

Dog Gulping and licking
    Happygo1 posted:
    Hi I wondered if anyone else has tips on dog gulping or Hotspots. We rescued a female German Shepherd 3 years ago who suffers with the gulping episodes. We have tried everything and searched the Web but i haven't found any answers myself. My vet hasn't heard of it and gave us Ranitidine. It doesn't help. I have found one thing that helps when she is having an episode of gulping I give her raw carports. If I catch the gulps early it stops it. She eats them like she will eat the grass. So we always have raw carrots in now. It's not a cure but it has definitely helped. She has lots of issues my girl as she also gets lots of hot spots and can be really itchy.she is on a grain free diet. She was almost anorexic when we got her and it too k a long time for us to get her to eat. She has been on steroids and antibiotics but these have had no effect on her gulping. I feel she will always have them and continue to wake us up in the night every now and then. The diet helps as she doesn't get them as much as she did. Raw carrots have really helped a lot of the time too. Hope someone else manages to get some help from this.

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
    Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    36 of 48 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections